Veneers are just one way to improve your smile. They can make your teeth appear whiter, straighter, and uniformly shaped. Veneers are considered to be a cosmetic procedure because they primarily improve the appearance of your teeth, although they do have some dental health benefits as well.
If you’re considering veneers, you’re probably wondering: what are veneers and how do they work? Here’s an overview of this cosmetic dental procedure that can transform your smile.
What are Veneers?
Veneers are thin, shell-like covers for your teeth. They attach to the front side of your teeth and wrap slightly around the sides and biting edge of your teeth. A thin layer of enamel is removed to prepare the teeth for veneers, giving them a rougher surface to adhere to. Then a bonding material is applied to attach the veneer to each tooth. Your natural teeth remain in place with a permanent covering to give them a new facade.
What are Veneers Made of?
Veneers come in a few different materials, such as:
- Porcelain. The most common material for veneers is porcelain. Porcelain closely resembles natural tooth enamel for a realistic appearance. It is also a strong, durable material that will withstand chewing and minor teeth grinding (although it is recommended that you wear a mouthguard if you grind your teeth).
- Composite resin. Veneers can also be made of composite resin, which is similar to the material used to fill cavities. Composite resin is not as strong as porcelain and is more susceptible to wear and discoloration. But composite veneers are less expensive than porcelain.
- Prefabricated resin. Another option is instant veneers made of prefabricated resin. These veneers are made in a lab and ready to attach when they arrive at your dentist’s office. Prefabricated veneers are the least expensive option, but may not look as natural as custom veneers.
Veneers Can Correct a Variety of Cosmetic Imperfections
You may have a few cosmetic things you dislike about your teeth. You could address each one of them separately, or save time and money by getting veneers. Veneers can cover:
- Stains. You could get a teeth whitening treatment, but some stains cannot be removed by bleaching alone. Veneers completely cover your teeth so that stains won’t show.
- Gaps or crooked teeth. You could get braces or Invisalign to close gaps and straighten your teeth. But orthodontic treatment takes months or even years. Veneers can be done in a single day or a few weeks.
- Uneven or chipped teeth. You could get crowns put over your teeth to correct chips or uneven teeth. But veneers cover your teeth and make them look even and properly shaped.
Getting veneers could save you money by improving your smile without complex dental procedures. But in some cases your teeth may need restorative procedures before veneers can be applied. The majority of each tooth must be healthy for veneers to be an option.
Artistic Family Dentistry Can Transform Your Smile With Veneers
Do you want to improve your smile? Veneers may be a good option for you to cover imperfections like stains, chips, gaps, and other cosmetic issues. If you’ve tried whitening treatments and were dissatisfied with your results, or if you want a straighter smile right away without the time and hassle of orthodontic treatment, veneers can give you the results you are looking for. When you’re satisfied with your smile, your self confidence improves, which can be a life changing experience.
Artistic Family Dentistry can help you improve your smile with veneers. After a simple evaluation, we can determine if you are an ideal candidate for veneers. Then we’ll discuss your options and get the process started. You could have a new smile in a matter of weeks.